People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 weird things as well as stating this rule clearly! Three people need to be tagged and their names listed. Finally a comment needs to be left on each tagged person's blog...And away we go:
1. I am unable to watch David Cameron on TV without becoming seriously enraged, and throwing things. Anyone else, I can just about tolerate, but there's something about Cameron that renders me totally without self-control. For the last year, I have been turning off the TV whenever it appears even possible he might speak. Of course, I don't think this is at all weird. What is weird is the fact that most people don't react in this manner.
2. I once became involved in a shouting match with a man, who turned out to be Alex Callinicos, leading light of the Socialist Workers Party, and doyen of the extreme-left. He called me a "stupid little creep" and told me to "piss off". Only later did I discover who he was. Had I known at the time, I would have been far ruder to him.
3. I am slightly scared of heights. I never used to be, and spent much of my childhood scrambling around the steep hills that surrounded the home of some of my parents' friends in a remote part of North Wales, without ever feeling at all worried. But when I was 15 a man I knew died falling off a mountain in Scotland, and since then I have had a strong aversion to heights. In my day-to-day life, I find the escalators at some of London's deeper tube stations mildly unnerving, and tend to hurry down them pretty quickly.
4. I have bizarre romanticised notions about the sea, generally centred upon the idea of it being 'the great unknown', even though it no longer really is. I would love to have served in the Navy in Nelson's day, or perhaps been an explorer with Drake, Raleigh, or Hudson. This is, I think, a hereditary thing - my great-grandfather was a Naval officer, and served all through World War One, and my great-uncle died in a submarine during World War Two, while another relative died on the Titanic. I particularly like the notion of being at sea during a storm, and always hope for one to come up when I'm on a boat. It's only happened once - in the Bay of Biscay - but I loved it.
5. On the subject of death, one of my favoured activities, when I have a free afternoon, is walking round Brompton Cemetery. I'm not sure why this is - I suppose I enjoy the tranquility.
6. I am very much a cat lover, having been brought up in a home with seven of them. I sadly don't have any myself now, so content myself with voting at Kittenwar.
Well, that's the lot. Who to tag? I suppose tagging people who actually know who I am would be a good idea, so I tag (and I hope none of them mind) Michael Cadwallader, the Gunslinger, and, in the hope that it will encourage him back into blogging, Tottenham Lad.