Thursday 19 April 2007

Cemeteries and left-wing opposition to Islam

No, the two are not related. However, they both reflect two things that I have seen or heard recently. One left me disgusted, the other left me encouraged, so I thought that I would relate them to you, dear readers.

Starting with the disgusting story: As I've mentioned before, I sometimes like to take a stroll around Brompton Cemetery, that magnificent 41 acre burial ground nestling in the shadow of Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium. Last week, when the weather was very good, I decided to go for a walk, and, finding that my route took me past the cemetery, decided to go in. Because the sun was out, it was significantly more crowded than usual (although I personally prefer it when there is a light drizzle and a grey overcast sky - much more atmospheric). And it was the behaviour of some of the members of the public that really disgusted me.

Although Brompton Cemetery is one of the Royal Parks, and although the public are permitted to walk there for their recreation, it is still the final resting place of thousands of people, including a large number of soldiers who fell in World War One. As such, I think that anyone going into the cemetery should behave with a degree of respect. However, the behaviour of the public was anything but respectful. People were jogging through the cemetery, cycling through it, even roller-blading through it. This was not the worst of it, however. I actually saw one man - reasonably well-dressed, in his fifties, and sipping from a container of organic orange juice - reclining on a tomb! He was actually using someone's grave as a place to put his feet up! And this despite the fact that there are benches all over the cemetery, for anyone who wishes to sit down to make use of. The sheer obscenity of his behaviour only struck me afterwards, but I really do wish that I'd told him what I thought of it. Although he'd probably only have responded to complaints about this physical obscenity with a verbal obscenity.

I am quite interested to know what my readers think about this. Do you agree that what this man was doing was obscene? Or am I overreacting?

The second thing that recently happened to me was considerably more encouraging. I was in the pub the other day with a friend, who is certainly not a hardline right-winger. Indeed, she is a member of that egregious organisation, Liberty. However, in the course of the conversation, it transpired that she felt exactly the same way about the threat posed to this country by Islam as I do. This is, I think, very encouraging, since it shows that even people of a decidedly liberal bent are waking up to the threat posed to this country. Polls have shown that 53% of the British population see Islam as a threat, and I believe that this number must surely be increasing all the time. Perhaps the day when public pressure forces our politicians to take some form of action will come sooner than we think.

5 comments:

Wolfie said...

I think you are overreacting a little over Brompton Cemetery, I'm sure the dead - were their spirits abroad - would enjoy the signs of life. Maybe the guy taking support was a little off base but not serious.

I'm also a local - like the blog, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Re. Brompton Cemetery - sadly this is now (and has been for many years) a major rendez-vous for the Earl's court homosexual community (it's northern gate gives them easy access). Basically it's used as a giant knocking-shop and they are flagrant in their disregard for either it or the rights / sensibilities of others. The police know all about this but needless to say ignore the fact. Such is life in modern England.

Keep up the good work.

Fulham Reactionary said...

Brompton Cemetery a gay cruising ground? Really? I'm glad to say I haven't yet stumbled across anything of that nature.

Or do they only appear at night? I would have thought it would be a bit too obvious during the daytime, although the cemetery locks up at 7, so who knows?

Fulham Reactionary said...

Not, of course, that I'm particularly interested.

Thanks for the positive comments, by the way, guys.

Anonymous said...

No, it's not just at night - more like 24/7. It's the Hampstead Heath of west London and that man you saw lying on the tombstone was almost certainly waiting for some random action.

By the way, amongst the illustrious dead that are buried there are 4 winners of the VC. It doesn't say much for our society really, but then you already know that.